Did You Know?
This 1922 post card states at the bottom “The Dam, Cochecton Center, N.Y.” At one time a tannery was located here. The dam was built to provide the vast amounts of water needed both for water power and the large cauldrons used to boil the hemlock bark to make the tannic acid that was used to tan the leather. Built by Stevens Brothers, owners of the tannery, the dam created a lake of about 50 acres. It also was a form of recreation with boating and fishing enjoyed by residents and “boarders,” as tourists were called in the early ‘20s and ‘30s. The dam had been in need of repairs for some years, so after several days of torrential rains in the spring of 1941, the dam breached and the Tannery Pond was no more.
From the files of Carl Grund, donated to the Tusten Historical Society. The society’s hours at the Western Sullivan Public Library, Tusten-Cochecton branch in Narrowsburg, are Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m., Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.