Looking back

'Handmade from beginning to end'

From the TRR archives

Posted 3/25/20

Carl Prosch, a native of Vienna, Austria, trained in the celebrated art schools of both Austria and New York and was brought to Wayne County by Christian Dorflinger to manage the new Honesdale …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in
Looking back

'Handmade from beginning to end'

From the TRR archives

Posted

Carl Prosch, a native of Vienna, Austria, trained in the celebrated art schools of both Austria and New York and was brought to Wayne County by Christian Dorflinger to manage the new Honesdale Decorating Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of C. Dorflinger & Sons. Inc. In 1900, Prosch set off for Europe to find workmen for the new company, which was housed in a building on Blandin’s Flats in Seelyville next to the T. B. Clark factory, another glass-cutting firm in Honesdale.  

Dorflinger announced that the products of the new company would be called “Honesdale Glass.” The Honesdale Decorating Company boasted that every product was “hand-made from beginning to end.”  Dorflinger died in 1915, and his estate sold the Honesdale Decorating Company to Carl F. Prosch, and the firm continued until Prosch’s retirement in 1932. In its final two years, the firm had only two workers: Carl Prosch and long-time employee Nicholas Stegner. Prosch died in 1937.

From the collection of the Wayne County Historical Society, 810 Main St., Honesdale, PA. The museum and research library are open Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment