Fall fun down on the farm; Lost in a corn maze
At the entrance to this year’s seven-acre corn maze at the Zembrzycki Dairy Farm, two giant, black Halloween spiders welcome you in to your adventure. Once you are about 20 feet into the maze, the corn will be towering above you, leaving you to concentrate fully on the aerial photo of the maze in order to know where you are and which way to go. If you don’t, you will find yourself lost (and confused) very quickly! Within the maze, there are 12 checkpoints that are mysteriously hidden in various nooks and crannies. At each checkpoint, you get to solve a riddle and fill in the blanks on the game piece you receive upon entering the maze. The overall goal is to find all the check points and solve all the riddles. And if you really want a challenge, you can do the maze in the dark, with a flashlight, every Friday night from 6 to 10 p.m.
Since the Zembrzycki’s initial corn maze, there have been numerous additions to their fall-themed fun on the farm. These include:
• Hay Bale Tower: The hay bale tower is fun for people of all ages to jump and climb. It makes for nice photo opportunities as well.
• Sling Shots: The sling shots are the newest addition. Here, you can test your skills and see how far you can launch a gourd at one of the four targets set up in the pasture.
• Pick-Your-Own Pumpkin Patch: Here, a two-acre pumpkin patch is filled with bright orange pumpkins just waiting to be picked. Or you can simply choose from one of the pre-picked pumpkins in one of the wagons. (Prices will vary depending on the size of the pumpkin.)
• Snack Shack: The Snack Shack has food and drinks available for purchase.
• Petting Zoo: The petting zoo consists of some of the farm’s friendly animals. It is a great opportunity for those who don’t get to see farm animals up close too often.
• Campfires: Each campfire ring has its own large picnic table. These spaces are a great way for friends and family to get together and roast some marshmallows, cook some hotdogs and just simply enjoy the fresh country air and scenery. Large groups and parties are most welcome. (It is highly recommended that you reserve your campfire early so that you are guaranteed a spot on busy weekends.)
In addition to these fall themed activities, there is the Zembrzycki Farm Stand, which is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from mid-July through late October. The farmstand offers a wide variety of seasonal produce, along with baked goods, flower bouquets, strawberry rhubarb jam and sunflowers. Currently, their fall specialty offerings include baby yams, corn stalks, gourds, hay bales, Indian corn, pumpkins and winter squash.