Clear sky
Clear sky
30.2 °F
October 20, 2014
River Reporter Facebook pageTRR TwitterRSS Search

Spotlight

Bogart: The Man and the Myth; A review of Stefan Kanfer’s "Tough Without a Gun: The Life and Extraordinary Afterlife of Humphrey Bogart"

The life, career and film legacy of Humphrey Bogart has been chronicled and scrutinized down the decades in numerous biographical studies. Among the more noteworthy and significant of these are Joe Hyams’ “Bogie: The Biography of Humphrey Bogart” (New American Library, 1966), Nathaniel Benchley’s “Humphrey Bogart” (Hutchinson, 1975), Robert Sklar’s “City Boys: Cagney, Bogart, Garfield” (Princeton, 1992) Anne M.  Read more

The fifth bridge at the ‘narrows’

The first bridge to cross the Delaware River at Narrowsburg, NY was a toll bridge built in 1832. Ice reportedly took out this bridge, which was followed by construction of another in 1846, only to see it washed out in a flood. The third bridge at the narrows was a covered bridge, built in 1848, and it lasted more than 50 years.

In 1899, the first metal bridge was built. It was made of iron and lasted until the present metal bridge with its steel arches and metal grate was built in 1953.

A number of present-day residents remember the old iron bridge.  Read more

Jonathan Fox gets head shaved for a good cause

Jonathan Fox, the Arts and Entertainment columnist for The River Reporter, sat down with about nine other volunteers to have his head shaved on September 9 in Eldred.  Read more

Hunting the Gray Ghost in South Africa

Having hunted in South Afrika in 2009 for the first time when I was 16 years old at the Fourie Ranch in the Afrikaner Free State, I dreamed of one day returning and hunting the magnificent Eastern Cape Kudu, which are as large as an American Bull Elk, yet with their stately black spiraling horns that had seemed to touch the sky, with their gray and slightly whitish stripped bodies, so they were perfectly camouflaged in the gray African Bush and dusty terrain!  Read more

Honesdale's 52nd Annual Sidewalk Sales a Huge Success

Honesdale’s merchants held “Circus Sales Days” the annual sidewalk sales on July 19, 20 and 21, which was sponsored by Wayne Bank, with support from Wayne County Tourism. One of the features was a Circus Side Show, and the Contestant incldued Gail Tucker, executive director, Greater Honesdale Partnership, left; Michael G.  Read more

University Official from Serbia Visits Monticello

On July 16, Sullivan County Court Judge, Frank J. LaBuda, and Commissioner of Jurors, George Cooke welcomed the Honorable Mel Dudic, the Dean and CEO of the International University located in Novi Pesar, Serbia, to a tour and program of the Sullivan County Courthouse in Monticello, New York.  Read more

Parading down Narrowsburg's Main Street

Re-enacters from Fort Delaware, located on Route 97 in Narrowsburg, NY, march in the annual July 4th parade sponsored by the Narrowsburg Fire Department.

Narrowsburg parade features clowns and fire trucks

Repeating a pageant that took place in countless towns across the country on July 4, residents and marchers turned out to Main St. in Narrowsburg in the afternoon to celebrate the birthday of the United States with a spirited parade.

Pool's open at Delaware Youth Center

CALLICOON, NY - The Delaware Youth Center will open its pool and begin its annual six-week summer program on Monday, July 2.

Due to construction on the bridge at the bottom of Lower Main Street, traffic this summer will have to get to the Youth Center by turning onto Viaduct Road from Route 97 at the top end of the Route 97 bridge over Callicoon Creek. Once on Viaduct Road, come down the hill past Agway; the center is at a T at the very bottom of that road.  Read more

By Delaine opens in Narrowsburg

NARROWSBURG, NY - A new store opened in Narrowsburg on June 2, By Delaine, featuring a variety of art and crafts created by American artists locally and from across the country.

The owners are Douglas and Judy Knight. Among the items for sale are handmade scarves and wraps made by Judy. Ten dollars from the sale of each of these goes to to RISE.

The opening was attended by, among others, Tusten town superintendent Carol Wingert and New York State Assembleywoman Aileen Gunther.