Shown here on a postcard dated 1920, this dam in Cochecton Center was built by Stevens Brothers, owners of a tannery. It created a 50-acre lake and provided water power for the tannery. In the spring of 1942 after torrential rains, the dam breached and Tannery Pond was no more. From the collection of the Tusten Historical Society.
The Tusten Historical Society’s hours at the Western Sullivan Public Library, Tusten-Cochecton branch in Narrowsburg, are Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m., Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.