Pictured here circa 1945 are great chunks of ice left on what was the tennis court at Peggy Runway Lodge, located on Route 652 (then Route 106). The gal standing by the ice was a guest at the Lodge. The house in the background was built by E. O. Barnes, one of the owners of the Narrowsburg Lumber Company. Some years ago the river usually stayed frozen for the entire winter, so as the river rose with the spring thaw, great chunks of ice would be deposited along the banks.
From the collection of the Tusten Historical Society. The Tusten Historical Society’s hours at the Western Sullivan Public Library, Tusten-Cochecton branch in Narrowsburg, are Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m., Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.