The River Reporter Special Sections Header

Overcast
Overcast
30.2 °F
November 26, 2014
River Reporter Facebook pageTRR TwitterRSS Search

Shining Brightly Again: Bethany’s Mansion at Noble Lane

An inviting gate and lane lead the visitor into the grounds of the Mansion at Noble Lane.
Contributed photo by Jeffrey Hiller


1933 – John Strongman died at the age of 78, leaving a $2 million estate. His first wife, Charlotte Hinch, had passed away in 1895; his second wife, Caroline DeWitt, died in 1936. Wife Caroline and daughter Hortense were generous benefactors, known for their philanthropic work in both Bethany and Honesdale.

1961 – Hortense passed away, and Bethany Homestead Farms was left to her son, Byron Miller Jr. After her death, he sold several houses on the property and sub-divided the acreage. The mansion, barn and remaining land then changed hands several times.

1960-70s – Three very elegant restaurants were located inside the mansion.

1986-96 – “Playing for Keeps” was filmed onsite in 1986, featuring then relative unknown Marisa Tomei in a supporting role. The exterior of the mansion was left in terrible disrepair when the film production company departed. Subsequently, Bethany Center, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center, occupied the mansion and made major exterior and interior renovations. Bethany Village, a 100-bed assisted living center, owned all the remaining property and renovated and occupied the barn.

Mid 1990s-2010 – The mansion was vacated and neglected.

2010 – Monique Greenwood of Brooklyn proposed to purchase the property, restore the mansion and develop a destination spa resort. The Mansion at Noble Lane was completed and formally opened to the public in June 2012.