Commissioners protest drastic cuts to victim programs
August 21, 2012 —
The Wayne County commissioners have decried the cutting of 50% of the funding for the county victim/witness program and juvenile victim assistance program. Last year, the program received about $50,000 for the two programs.
“This year they will receive only about $24,000, cutting the program in half,” said Brian Smith, chairman of the county commissioners.
“This is more than just drastic; it’s a lot more than 10
percent which many other program received in cuts,” said Commissioner Wendell Kay.
At the recent convention of the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania (CCAP), an organization that speaks for county commissioners, passes a resolution to protest such a drastic cut, determining that his program constitutes an unfunded mandate.