‘How it used to be’ in Deerpark
September 18, 2013 —
HUGUENOT, NY — The Town of Deerpark Museum will celebrate the Huguenot Schoolhouse Sesquicentennial with an open house on Saturday, September 21 from 12 noon to 5 p.m. and on Sunday, September 22 from 1 to 5 p.m.
The 1863 Huguenot Schoolhouse, 25 Grange Rd., is a renovated one-room brick school, complete with original desks, period schoolhouse memorabilia, historical timeline paintings by Susan Miller and local history photos. For this special occasion, the museum will feature a collection of World War II posters, complete with the background stories of the artists who produced the posters.
The Neversink Valley Grange Building, adjacent to the 1863 Huguenot Schoolhouse, will also be open. A show of period wedding gowns, dresses and accessories will be presented, including the Men’s Corner, featuring antique tools, razors and more. There will be a wool carding and spinning demonstration, and free cider and goodies.
As an added attraction, there will be World War II music in the schoolhouse, and Irish music performed at 1 p.m. on Sunday by The Parting Glass in the grange building. Call 845/754-8070, or 845/856-2182.