Clear sky
Clear sky
55.4 °F
July 31, 2014
River Reporter Facebook pageTRR TwitterRSS Search Login
news

Governor Cuomo provides important winter safety tips for preventing hypothermia, frostbite etc.

With frigid temperatures turning most of the Big Eddy into a field of ice, Governor Cuomo has issued tips for preventing hypothermia.


Open a window to provide ventilation when a portable kerosene heater is in use to reduce carbon monoxide fumes inside the home. If you plan to cook on a barbeque grill or camp stove, remember these also produce carbon monoxide and are for outdoor use only. Wood stoves, space heaters, electric heaters, kerosene heaters and pellet stoves can be dangerous unless proper safety precautions are followed. Learn more at http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/indoors/heaters ("http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/indoors/heaters") .

Never try to thaw a pipe with an open flame or torch and be aware of the potential for electric shock in and around standing water. To keep water pipes from freezing in the home let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing, open cabinet doors to allow more heat to get to un-insulated pipes under a sink or appliance near an outer wall. Keep the heat on and set no lower than 55 degrees.

Generator Safety

Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Never run a generator in your home or indoor spaces,such as garages, basements, porches, crawlspaces or sheds, or in partly enclosed spaces such as carports or breezeways. Generators should only be operated outside, far away from (25 feet or more if possible) and downwind of buildings. Carbon monoxide in the generator's fumes can build up and cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can lead to death.
Do not exceed the rated capacity of your generator. Overloading your generator can damage it and any appliances connected to it. Fire may result.
Fuel spilled on a hot generator can cause an explosion. If your generator has a detachable fuel tank, remove it before refilling. If this is not possible, shut off the generator and let it cool before refilling.
Fire Safety

When adding fuel to a space heater, or wood to a wood stove or fireplace, wear non-flammable gloves.
Never add fuel to a space heater when it is hot. The fuel can ignite, burning you and your home.
Keep the heater away from objects that can burn, such as furniture, rugs or curtains.
If you have a fire extinguisher, keep it nearby.
Be careful with candles--never leave them burning if you leave the room.
Keep children away from space heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves to avoid accidental burns.
Check on your family or neighbors and find out how they're doing. Make sure they know what to do--and what not to do--to protect their health.