CCC celebrated at Promised Land State Park; New GPS tour launched, featuring CCC sites
Promised Land State Park was established in 1905 and hosted three CCC camps between 1933 and 1941. The CCC is credited with substantially improving the layout and safety of the park, planting thousands of trees and developing many of the recreational facilities present today. Here, at what was known as Camp Pocono #S-139, the men built roads, the Promised Land Lake dam, the Bear Wallow cabins, the CCC Pavilion and more.
The first public CCC Festival featured talks, movies, educational booths, music, children’s activities, museum tours and the introduction of the new CCC GPS (Global Positioning System) Walking Tour. The tour allows users to follow coordinates for a behind-the-scenes tour of the CCC history at PLSP. It begins at the museum, which the CCC constructed in 1934 as officer’s quarters.
Other stops include the locations for buildings such as the boys’ barracks, medical buildings, the barbershop, the mess hall and the spud house (where thousands of potatoes were stored). The CCC Walking Tour is an official geocache site at www.Geocaching.com. A brochure with coordinates also can be obtained at the Park Office on Route 390. For more information, contact Longo at PromisedLandEnvEdSO@state.pa.us, or at 570/676-0567.