In 1865, Christian Dorflinger moved his family from New York City to White Mills, PA, where he built a glass factory. To operate the factory, he needed experienced workers and recruited seven highly skilled workers from Saint Louis-les Bitche, France, who arrived in the United States in 1866.
The year was around 1950. There had been several reports by neighbors in East Cochecton who had seen a massive bear. During a deer hunt, Edward Hartmann spotted huge bear tracks in the snow. A posse gathered to include Eddie, Adam Sauer, Artie Bossert, Ken Just, Bill Lubeck, Charles Ebel, H. Schicht, and Bill and Charles Fisher.
The Equinunk Historic District is a national historic district located in Buckingham and Manchester townships, Wayne County, PA. Equinunk’s first settler, between 1776 and 1782, was Josiah Parks, a prominent figure in the early rafting industry on the Delaware River; his family lived in a cave in the rocks.
This display ad—pardon the poor quality of the clipping—was one of hundreds on the page on which it was placed featuring Sullivan County hotels and boarding houses. Imagine a week of resort amusements, clean linens and home-cooked meals all for $7 to $10 a week! New York City and Manhattan must have become ghost towns during the summer. A.
Eugene Dorflinger, a first cousin of Christian Dorflinger, was a worker at the Dorflinger factory in White Mills, PA. His son, John C.
During 1879, John Rockefeller and his Standard Oil Company proposed a pipeline that would transport crude oil from the operating wells in western PA to oil refineries located 300-miles away to Bayonne, NJ. The venture would pocket enormous amounts of money, eliminating the extra handling and hefty fees charged by the railroad company.
Once called Salem Corners, then Hamlinton, the bustling town of Hamlin is still the hub of the Salem Township community. The first frame house in the town was built two miles west of the Corners by Harris Hamlin, a brick maker, in 1802. Hon. Ephraim W. Hamlin of Bethany and Judge Butler Hamlin were two of his children.
The Curtis family name is known to Cochecton and Callicoon local history. James C. Curtis is the illustrious fellow to tout being first supervisor for the Town of Cochecton, New York State Assemblyman, Senator and more. His sons were also successful.
Historic Liberty Hall, also known as “The Masonic,” was built in 1860 by Miles L. Tracy on the site of the old Jakway Hotel at Main and 9th streets in Honesdale.
The Town of Cochecton was separated from Bethel in 1828. James C. Curtis was elected the first supervisor of the Town of Cochecton serving from 1829 to 1844 and 1849 to 1850.