Community Stories

Photo by Abigail Waldrop, Fort Bliss Bugle Staff [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
A child hugs a certified therapy dog after reading him a book during a Paws for Reading session at Mickelsen Community Library at Fort Bliss, TX.

Therapy dog helps kids read

MONTICELLO, NY — Does your child need practice with reading? Do they love animals? The E.B. Crawford Library is bringing reading practice and animals together in a new program called “Tales with Tai.” 

Train your pooch

LIBERTY, NY — The Adult & Continuing Education Program at Sullivan BOCES will offer a dog obedience course on Tuesdays from April 18 through June 20 from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Rubin Pollack Education Center parking lot. The first class is two hours long, without dogs.

Looking Back

The first dispatch from Honesdale after the disastrous 1942 flood was written by local reporter Hartley J. Sanford and published in the Philadelphia Inquirer on May 25. He reported, “A dozen railroad freight cars were picked up like matchboxes and tossed into a pile by the water. Automobiles were thrown into stores.

Contributed photo
Sheep grazing in Grahamsville

A hands-on history of wool

GRAHAMSVILLE, NY — There will be a presentation on wool at the Time and the Valley’s Museum on the Heritage of Wool & Its Connection to Local History on Sunday, April 2 at 2 p.m. Marylin Jones  will talk about the history of wool, the science behind the fiber and local developments in the fiber industry.

Looking Back

Carl Prosch, a native of Vienna, Austria, trained in the celebrated art schools of that city and New York and was brought to Wayne County by Christian Dorflinger to manage the new Honesdale Decorating Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of glass cutters C. Dorflinger & Sons. Inc.

Contributed photo

Looking Back

Elvira Kennedy Brownscombe was born in 1809 to David and Rhoda Stearns Kennedy in Mt. Pleasant Township, Wayne County. David Kennedy’s father, David Sr., and wife Rhoda (Tingley) had emigrated from Tolland County, CT in 1794, among the very earliest settlers in the area.

Looking Back

Samuel W. Pennypacker was governor of Pennsylvania in 1903 when the Wayne Hatchery #4 was built in Pleasant Mount. Wayne Hatchery #4 originally sat on 14 acres of property donated by Alison B. Sterling. The major water source is the Lackawaxen River via Beaver Meadows Reservoir (Belmont Lake), obtained in 1917.



Privacy Policy & Terms of Use

Copyright 2017 Stuart Communications, Inc.

PO Box 150, 93 Erie Avenue

Narrowsburg NY 12764

(845) 252-7414

All Rights Reserved

Comment Here