Did You Know
This aerial view of Narrowsburg was photographed in the late 1940s. In the lower left was the Narrowsburg Airport, now occupied by the Lander’s Campground. This photo was donated by Kate Dexter Sullivan.
The Tusten Historical Society’s hours at the Western Sullivan Public Library, Tusten-Cochecton branch in Narrowsburg, are Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m., Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Dated 1910, here is a postcard picture of the road now called Rt. 652 in Pennsylvania. The PA boat access is now located along the bank bordering the river on the left of the picture. The boarding house on the right was known as the West Point House. It was removed many years ago as well as the trees in front. It was a dirt road at the time and there was a path along side where the two women are walking. There was very little traffic, and it was primarily made up of horses and wagons. Read more
Pictured here circa 1945 are great chunks of ice left on what was the tennis court at Peggy Runway Lodge, located on Route 652 (then Route 106). The gal standing by the ice was a guest at the Lodge. The house in the background was built by E. O. Barnes, one of the owners of the Narrowsburg Lumber Company. Some years ago the river usually stayed frozen for the entire winter, so as the river rose with the spring thaw, great chunks of ice would be deposited along the banks. Read more
This is a picture of the hanger used for airplanes here in Narrowsburg, NY. It was in operation during the mid 1940s and was very active for several years thereafter. The airport was located where Lander’s Campground is now located. A great many people in this area received their pilot’s licenses here. Thanks to Art Hawker for donating this picture.
Calling themselves the three musketeers, here from the left are Kate Dexter, Jeanne Slater and Ginny Kille. Kate writes, “We three town girls spent lots of time together.” Pictured circa 1940, it was a time before much television or I-phones and texting, a time when more time was spent outside. Thanks to Kate Dexter Sullivan for donating the picture.
This is a picture taken in February 1940 of Bridge St. in Narrowsburg, NY looking west from the railroad bridge. The gas station on the left was Dexter’s Chevrolet (where the fire Department is now), followed by Crocker’s Store (replaced by UDC’s building), and then Miller’s Restaurant (now occupied by the Chinese Restaurant). On the right was the Community House and Park Movie Theatre, then Reiser’s house (torn down a few years ago), the Mary Hensz home (she drove a taxi service), the Ford Garage and then Mrs. Laffin’s house (she had a beauty parlor). Read more
Pictured here in a snowy February 1940, is a scene of Narrowsburg’s Main St., looking toward the river bridge from the railroad overpass. On the right is Stranahan’s store, then the Mike Pries building (now housing the weaver and the jewelry shops), then the Gebbart building (it burned in 1945 and the bank was then built). The Gutheil’s private home was torn down to make way for the post office, built in 1967. The dark shape behind the tree is the Arlington Hotel with the Decker building at the very end. On the left is a gas station owned and run by Stranahan’s Store. Read more
Pictured here in a snowy February 1940, we are looking toward the river bridge from the railroad overpass. On the right is Stranahan’s store, then the Mike Pries building (now housing the weaver and the jewelry shops), then the Gebbart building (it burned in 1945 and the bank was then built). The Gutheil’s private home was torn down to make way for the post office, built in 1967. The dark shape behind the tree is the Arlington Hotel with the Decker building at the very end. On the left is a gas station owned and run by Stranahan’s Store (can you believe Narrowsburg sold gas?). Read more
Here is an early picture of the Hawk’s Nest. It was the first section of the road that later was named Route 97. The road was not built in one continuous span, but rather in sporadic sections. It was finally completed from Port Jervis to Hancock, some 70 miles, in 1939. A grand parade of automobiles, starting at Port Jervis and culminating in Hancock, celebrated the event with speeches at many towns. A dinner in Hancock marked the end of the historic day. An annual celebration continued for several years and was dubbed “Rte. 97 Day.”
This 1922 post card states at the bottom “The Dam, Cochecton Center, N.Y.” At one time a tannery was located here. The dam was built to provide the vast amounts of water needed both for water power and the large cauldrons used to boil the hemlock bark to make the tannic acid that was used to tan the leather. Built by Stevens Brothers, owners of the tannery, the dam created a lake of about 50 acres. It also was a form of recreation with boating and fishing enjoyed by residents and “boarders,” as tourists were called in the early ‘20s and ‘30s. Read more