Scattered clouds
Scattered clouds
66.2 °F
September 21, 2014
River Reporter Facebook pageTRR TwitterRSS Search Login
arts & leisure

Sundays at the Museum August programs

The Wayne County Historical Society will present a program about Catholic churches in Honesdale, like the original St. John’s Catholic Church, erected in 1842. In the foreground is the St. John’s Rectory built in 1892 by the Rev. John J. Doherty.
Contributed photo


July 31, 2013

HONESDALE, PA — Every Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m., The Wayne County Historical Society offers an hour-long presentation on a historical topic. The programs are free and open to all.

“History of Catholic Churches in Honesdale during the D&H Canal Era” with Dorothy Kieff will be held on August 4. Kieff, genealogy researcher at St. John the Evangelist Church, will present a program on the history of Catholic Churches in Honesdale during the D & H Canal Era. Prior to the construction of the canal, Honesdale was largely wilderness. By 1826, when the canal was being built, there were only a handful of Catholics in Honesdale due to the influence of the Connecticut culture on Northeast Pennsylvania. Kieff will trace the history of St. John the Evangelist and St. Mary Magdalen Churches as Catholic immigrants came by the thousands to work on the canal, in the tanneries, and in the glass industries.

Call 570/253-3240 or visit www.waynehistorypa.org.